Sunday 29 May 2011

Food Issues and Body Image

While browsing through Chapters book store the other day, I couldn't help but notice Kim Kardashian on the cover of Cosmopolitan magazine. What struck my eye was the fact that she was not a typical stick thin woman grazing the cover with toned abs. Although her face was a little too airbrushed to pass for reality, I admired the fact that she has and embraces her curves.

It is evident that many people lose too much weight once they reach celebrity status. Is it because of the pressure? Or do they try to conform to the Hollywood 'norm'?

In other news, I purchased a book entitled "An Apple a Day" written by doctor Joe Schwarcz. The book examines the "myths, misconceptions and truths about the foods we eat". This book caught my interested because I am always googling so many topics/questions such as "is soy good or bad for women?" or "are artificial sweeteners bad for you? how about stevia?"

Although this book attempts to stand at a neutral position by taking a scientific unbiased approach to the studies and evidence, I still question the results. I have a feeling that a holistic doctor rather than a medical doctor, would disagree with many of the things that Schwarcz says.

If anyone picks this book up, please let me know what you think!

Off to enjoy the rest of my Sunday...Bridesmaids movie tonight! I heard it was hilarious! Have you seen it?

No comments:

Post a Comment